Thursday, February 15, 2018

LENTEN MESSAGE



Sacred Memory…

When I was a kid, sometimes when my mother would listen to the radio, after some particularly meaningful song, she’d tell me some background about a place or time, or a person that the song reminded her of.  She’d sometimes tell me about an uncle, or a cousin, or a story about when she was at school.  I didn’t think it was ramblings, but I certainly didn’t see it from the same “eyes” of memory that she had.  I certainly didn’t have the same appreciation for the song that she had.  To me, that song was just an old song. 

I can remember as a child hearing my grandparents talking about some of their experiences back in World War II, or other events in their lives.  Looking back, they would talk with such meaning, as if they were seeing these events again, as if they were trying to describe them to a person that couldn’t see those events with the same eyes of experience.  It was almost as if they were trying to convey to me the feelings and perceptions they had as they were living those events.  The thing is, they weren’t trying to tell me about a memory… they were trying to tell me about themselves through that memory! 

But, I was too young to appreciate what they were doing.  I didn’t get it.  I lived primarily in the moment, or if I looked anywhere it was to the future.  The past wasn’t something I looked at too much, probably because there might not have been too much of it in my life to be very reflective about it.       

Then years later, I’d do my clinical chaplaincy work in a retirement home/assisted living center/nursing home complex in Gaithersburg MD, called Asbury Methodist Village, in the summer of 1996.  At the time I was all of 30 years old.  During our first week there, we were greeted and briefed by a number of staff members, who talked to us on a number of things related to work and ministry among the elderly.  We had nurses and social workers come talk to us about what life is like as an older person, what they might be going through emotionally, intellectually, physically, etc.  We had people come and talk with us about various infirmities and diseases that are related primarily to the elderly – like Alzheimer’s disease.

I remember one particular social worker who came to talk to us.  She talked with us about the power of Reminiscence… that thing people do more of as they get older.  To the young, “reminiscence” is pretty much remembering.  And reminiscing is pretty much talking about old times.  But the social worker talked about this as a natural process, as something people do; either to make more sense of the present, to make peace with the past, to anchor the living process in something.  It’s a natural part of our aging process, she’d say.  And as she spoke about this process, it sounded almost like something holy.  She described something that naturally occurs in us as something that took on the feel of a Sacred Pilgrimage to a sacred place… but the sacred place is in our history, in our psyche, in our souls. 

Well, as it turns out, I’ve noticed I’ve being doing this for a number of years now myself.  I hear a song that I’d heard back when, and it brings back all kinds of memories.  I find myself telling my kids about this or that event in my life.  And once I figure out what I’m doing… I realize it’s more than just a story.  And I see they don’t get it.  How can I put in words – although it’s a story… it’s not just a story.  I’m telling you about myself, about who I am, about my pilgrimage through this life so far.  How can you say this on words?  How can you convey meaning of your life as a story-teller, a teller of stories… about yourself, only told in pieces… one story at a time?  But to them, they’re just stories.   

About eight years before he died, my father got more serious about poetry.  Over a few years, he ended up writing quite a few poems.   They weren’t the most sophisticated poems, nor the most articulate pieces… but they didn’t have to be.  They weren’t meant to be published by one of the big Houses.  They were meant for him.   They represented a piece of his memories… which unfortunately had started fading by that point.  The memory loss started small, and over the following years, little by little, his life lost its past. 
But his poetry was perhaps a conscious link to that slowly diminishing past.  He’d write about where he’d lived, which were many places!   He wrote about the places he went to in his life and career as a Foreign Service Officer.  He wrote about his growing up years, about his father, etc.  Unfortunately, as the years progressed, his dementia slowly stole his ability to remember his own story more and more. 
One of the last times we were able to remember together, I walked with him to a local coffee shop – something he used to do a lot of when we lived overseas.   There I ordered for us, getting him a coke or a coffee, and I began asking him about some places he used to know from when he was a kid.   I asked him about his neighborhood in Baltimore, about the Baltimore Colts (his favorite team), and about some of the players he was fond of.   I asked him about Y.A. Tittle.  And because his disease had diminished his ability to control his emotions, that name brought up some tears of remembering – made me remember again… events, people, situations, do indeed leave their emotional imprint on us... that memories are their own form of poetry. 
     
On that last walk to and from the coffee shop, I was in a way the father then… helping him walk, starting conversations, and being patient when words didn’t come right away, making sure to move at his pace, and just feeling his presence and loving it, and him.   So his poems mean more to me now that I know what they’re really about… now that I’ve started reminiscing myself.

One of my professors at Seminary used to say – “The bible does not reveal its secrets to disinterested passers-by.”  Maybe it’s not all going to be spelled out for us… maybe we have to dig a little.  I wonder if this isn’t what our spiritual journeys are like.  I wonder if all the important things we need to know about living well, about forgiveness, about God and grace, about faith and hope… are already there?  Is it a matter of just getting that stuff out… in the right way, at the right time?   Maybe it’s about Remembering… about looking back on our lives, reading between the lines, and seeing the sacred between the empty spaces of our journey, about having the courage to seek deep within and shine the light in those dark corners we haven’t looked at in a long, long time… Maybe it’s the same way with our growth as healthy people – maybe we have to take time to look inside us, in our journey thus far… in our memories, our Sacred Memories… memories handed down to us from ages ago, memories that were introduced to our spiritual DNA a long time ago.  This has led me to believe in something that really does exist… Sacred Remembering.

There is a scene in the movie “The Legend of Bagger Vance”, about a gifted golfer who returns from WWI psychologically wounded.  He is struggling with some demons that prevent him from living as a whole and healthy human being (sound familiar?).  Well, this character Bagger Vance comes along to help him in his journey.  Basically it’s a movie about living well, using golf as a tool for doing so.  Here’s a scene that speaks about Sacred Remembering

Bagger Vance:  Yep... Inside each and every one of us is one true authentic swing... Somethin' we was born with... Somethin' that's ours and ours alone... Somethin' that can't be taught to ya or learned... Somethin' thats got to be remembered.    Over time, the world can rob us of that swing.   It gets buried inside us under all our wouldas and couldas and shouldas.   Some folk even forget what their swing was like…   
Here’s the actual scene from YouTube:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH4oOnh6DyI


May your Lenten Journey bring you to that place of Sacred Remembering… that places where your life catches up to your time, and your time makes a space for your life.   Make some time to remember those Sacred moments… those people, and places, and words, and events…  let them just come upon you, like when you turn the corner and there’s someone right there already.  Let them bring up what they bring up… trust that they’re there for a reason… a messenger come to bring you an important word.    And, interestingly enough…   it’ll help us be more in the present too. 


No comments: