Thursday, February 11, 2016

Lenten Message




After his baptism “Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness…” (Matthew 4). 


And there
      he fasted
          and prayed
                    preparing himself
    for his ministry
     ….holding on to the knowing that God had a plan,
     ….and that this plan would reveal itself more fully over time.  

Trust

Jesus could not have done anything without trust that God was in fact leading him.  
      He could not have fasted without trust.  
      He could not have held on without trust.
           
     
"And the tempter said, 
              
         ‘If you are the Son of God, 
          command these stones to become loaves of bread!
(Matthew 4:3)



Feed yourself on something other than faith in God!  
There’s so much to choose from!  
Help yourself! 

It’s usually harder for me to trust God in this way when there are other things to hang on to.  
Like stuff
   and technology
      and people
and money

I remember moments in my life where I had nothing to hang on to but trust... 
trust that someone else was in charge...
…someone greater than me.  


I had nothing left to hang on to but trust when we went to finalize our daughters adoption in Ghana 16 years ago.  
Those three weeks were draining – exhausting!     
      Everything was drained out of us…    
I can’t explain it… except to say I had nothing left to hang on to but trust.
I trusted God had a plan.    I didn’t know the plan, but I trusted God had one.     
I can’t tell you how many times I heard the voice…
“Just quit!”
“It would be easier for you if you just went back home!”

But I seemed to drift back to…
 “God has a plan…”  
“God has a plan…”


It is hard to trust, isn’t it.  
But when you have nothing else left … trust…   God is there.

"My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always, though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”  
--Thomas Merton








1 comment:

David Osmundson said...

"If you don't know where you are going then any plan will do." Peter Drucker "Good management is doing things right. Good leadership is doing the right thing." anonymous. Henri Nouwen said in The Wounded Healer - "The great illusion of leadership is to think that man can be led out of the desert by someone who has never been there."
A former co-worker once wrote that reality is created by our own thoughts and beliefs. The camera is a snapshot of reality. "Have you ever taken a picture of a beautiful scene in nature, only to look at it later and see trash all along the side of the road, trash that you never noticed while you stood on the spot? That's when you realize the selectivity of human perception." I think some see God's creation and others see what humans foul up. "Carefully chose your reality." Oz